His efforts were recognized recently as the Cornwall and Area Chamber of Commerce presented him with the inaugural Ambassador of the Year award.
Mr. Latour has helped champion numerous community initiatives, not the least has been Team Cornwall, the City’s well respected busness booster club. To many people outside of Cornwall, he is known as “Mr. Cornwall”, an ardent promoter of the City.
“I have seen Gilles in action, promoting his hometown to anyone who will listen – whether they be Cornwall area citizens in need of a reminder of what a splendid city it is, or travellers being seduced to experience the charms of Cornwall life,” said Max Keeping, former CTV journalist and philanthropist.
Under his leadership, Team Cornwall has remained true to its original goals and today is a vibrant organzation of over 400 business and community leaders. The following are some of the particular achievements Mr. Latour has accomplished with Team Cornwall:
- Maintained momentum and interest in Team Cornwall, which many communities have tried (and failed) to copy
- Increased the organization’s membership, with approximately 30 new members annually
- A successful annual golf tournament that raises over $25000 each year for charity
- A successful Year in Review event held each year in December, making it one of the largest gatherings of community and business leaders.
- Established a key relationship with Ottawa media, most notably CTV Ottawa, resulting in unparalleled coverage of Cornwall stories in the Ottawa market
- Helped resurrect Teen Cornwall, an effort to encourage youth to become involved in the community
- Ensured that the organization remains sustainable and fiscally responsible
- Ensured that Team Cornwall has excellent working relationships with the Chamber of Commerce, Tourism and local politicians
- Provided mentorship and exposure to local young people, including Tony Luis, Christina Julien, Kelly Ouderkirk, Gracie Willison and Melanie Banville.
In addition to his work with Team Cornwall, Mr. Latour was instrumental in establishing the Cornwall Edition of The Max Keeping Foundation. The Foundation has raised over $65,000 to increase access to sports and recreation opportunities for local youth in low-income families.
Along with several other local residents, Mr. Latour was recently selected as a recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal.
In the past, Mr. Latour has been involved in several different community events, including Lift-Off and the Olympic Torch Relay celebration.
Business Excellence Awards & Citizen of the YearThe Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence Awards is a distinguished Cornwall tradition established in 1988. The Awards recognize outstanding achievements by Cornwall area businesses and individuals in the fields of commerce, community work and/or innovation. The awards ceremony, coupled with the presentation of the coveted Citizen of Year award is one of Cornwall’s most prestigious annual affairs.
For more info, along with a list of current and past winners, follow this link: